26 April 2009

Easter Sunday in Tijuana



Two Sundays ago Farra, Kevin, Jackie, Steph, and I went down to have Sunday brunch with my mom to our favorite TJ restaurant, La Diferencia. This place serves authentic, regional, and pre hispanic inspired dishes. One of my favorite dishes are the chapulines (fried locusts) that they serve on handmade blue corn sopes. We also had bone marrow sauteed with mushrooms, chicharron in salsa verde, queso fundido with rajas, crepas de huitlacoche (the delicious delicacy of corn fungus), and enjoyed all this with some palomas and micheladas, and finished off with a tequilita and sangrita. I know, I know you are a little jealous, but just let me know when you want to go down there and its a date.




After the beautiful food, my moms company, and a relaxing dining experience we still had dessert waiting. We went to Tepoznieves, this place has the biggest and most unique selection of ice cream that I have ever seen. The place is named after the town where all the ice cream is made, Tepoztlan, Morelos. They have pretty much any flavored ice cream and sorbets such as, mango with cucumber, avocado, rose petals, bubble gum,  tequila, burnt milk, zapote, you name it they have it. After tastes and taste we all finally decided on our flavors and got ready for our fashion shoot.

The inside of tepoznieves has the bright rich Mexican colors you find in the south part of the country. The people that work there are so helpful, knowledgeable, and will let you sample as many of their flavors as you desire. My favorites are always the chile inspired sorbets such as cucumber with chile, mangolin ( mango with chile), and then I add some chamoy to top it off. (a spicy, sweet, pulp from pickled fruits like plums and apricots)

The cool kids eating ice cream as they pose au naturel.

Nice color coordination from Kevin with his grey sneaks and a hint of yellow on the sole to match his shirt and jeans.


3 comments:

  1. What a nice blog you have Juan, I love la diferencia also. Your dinner partys look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks masa assassin. You know I forgot to say the same to you, i really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh los hongos con tuetano...mmmmm nada se compara a ese bocado celestial! por supuesto hoy por hoy La Diferencia es lo maximo!

    ReplyDelete