08 June 2009

The missing link....


It never fails, there's always one recipe that keeps us up the night before until ridiculous hours. I don't know if I create this myself, I'm just too tired, or what, but I work on the house until the afternoon, I start preparing around 3pm or 4pm and then hours later just when everything else is prepped and ready to go and I think I'm going to bed, the last recipe or prep work somehow is misread, or an ingredient is forgotten and I find myself at 12midnight, tired and dumbfounded at what happened. And then the race begins....the race to find out what I did wrong, how I can fix it and where I can send Juan at 1am or 7am to solve it! And just like clockwork, the missing ingredient is found or the recipe is started over and the end product is just perfect! We, on the other hand, are not so perfect at 3am...but still manage to thoroughly enjoy ourselves the day of!



That recipe this time around was for the triple ginger cookies that sandwiched the lemon quark cheese in the middle. I'm never sure how a recipe will double, but I thought I'd take my chances....until, I double the wet ingredients and then quarupled the dry ingredients. Then, somewhere in my mathematics at 12midnight, I ended up with very sad and gooey dough! Alas, 2 hours later, I figured out I only added half the flour, so I added the rest and the cookies delivered in taste, texture and style with their quark cheese!


Moral of the story: don't multiply a recipe unless 1. you are a mathematician 2. you have no one talking to you while you're doing the math 3. you have countless hours to waste figuring out your mistake!

No comments:

Post a Comment