22 March 2010

Caldo Tlalpeño for lunch


I was hard at work on my laptop blasting throught the many to do's of a current project, when my hunger I could not suppress anymore. I got up to start making myself a sandwich and I hear the best thing from my mom's mouth, "Oh I'm already making you lunch it will be ready shortly". That's right peeps, my mom made me Caldo Tlalpeño. Legend has it that back in the 1920's in the southern town of Tlalpan, right outside of Mexico City, there used to be an area where food vendors would gather around the center of town and sell there offerings to the local workers coming and going. There was a lady called "Pachita" that would offer this delicious chicken soup but with her own twist. She added chipotle, rice, avocado, and cheese, served with some warm tortillas. Gotta love the essence of street food.

Well today, Pachita was my mom. Gracias, ama!

1 comment:

  1. Juan, this soup sounds amazing. Can you send me the recipe or at least some general directions on how to make it? I am a big soup fan and this sounds dreamy.

    Sage

    ReplyDelete